Friday, February 28, 2014

The Raven-Stag - a poem by William Allen Graham

Being a huge fan of Bryan Fuller's Hannibal, I began to wonder:

If Will Graham had been a poet in the time of Edgar Allen Poe, how would he have described his experiences with Hannibal Lecter?

This is my interpretation of what that might look like.

The Raven-Stag – a poem by William Allen Graham




Once Upon a Midnight dreary,
When I awoke, all weak and weary,
I stumbled to the Kitchen Door.
I take some water – I have to drink.
And then I bend o‘er the sink.

“T’was something eaten – nothing more,”-
I mutter and I let it out.
But what I witness makes me shout.
I stagger back in shock and fear,
For I’ve disgorged a human ear.



“How can this be?” I speak aloud.
“You are a killer – there is no doubt.”
So they said – a massive clout
Upon my head and soul.

My pure empathy – its toll
Is that I finally lose control
And fall into the same dark hole
Where many I had ere condemned.



I broke away, for I believed
That someone had to have deceived
My colleagues of who I be.
I run and ponder. And then I see -
The Raven-Stag approaches me.

Its fur has feathers, black as tar,
Like those of Ravens. From afar,
One may mistake it for normal deer,
But as one draws near,
Its unique features come crystal clear.



I see it here, I see it there.
I see it almost everywhere.
It clouds my visions, this being of night,
This creature that deplores the light.



Perhaps it’s Garret Jacob’s hind
That’s made its way into my mind.
He loved to honor every part,
To eat her flesh, consume her heart.
He’d treat his victims just the same.
To honor them – that was his aim.

When I first saw him, he’d gone wild –
About to slash his only child.
I shot him once, I shot again –
I can’t recall, which claimed the man.



But as he left this world, it seems,
The Raven-Stag formed in my dreams.

While pondering just what it meant,
This Raven-Stag of which I dreamt,
I seek the Doctor – my good friend.
My confidante, my helping hand.




What they say – it can’t be true!
“Perhaps not, perhaps it’s you.
Perhaps it’s Garret Jacob too.”
I know myself! I didn’t do it.
Take me to His House – I’ll prove it!

In the House of Hobbs, I try explain.
But he assures: “It’s all in vain.
The facts are these - you've gone insane.
You've no proof, you've only pain.
Embrace the madness, don't complain.”

I realized then that it was He,
Who had so clearly toyed with me.
I drew on him – he doesn’t flinch.
He doesn’t even move an inch.




I know myself. But I don’t know you!
“Would it feel good to kill me too?”

A shot rings out – I hit the floor.
And Jack is standing by the door,
A Smoking Gun within his hand.
I look o'er to his right. And -



Where Hannibal had stood before
There was the Stag, a bird no more.
A Demon rather, heretofore
Unseen, now looming, looming over me.

I couldn’t fight, I couldn’t flee.
All I could muster was: “See? See?”

No comments:

Post a Comment